FAQ

Frequently asked questions

What Do I do If my order hasn't arrived?


Don't worry, It is possiable that 1 in 10,000 of our weekly shipments fail to arrive at their destination – however USPS does sometimes mistakenly misroute them or in the case of international shipments they can be held up in customs. In the unlikely event that your order is lost we will of course send you another item while we work with USPS to try and find your lost package. If it has been over 3 weeks in the USA and 4 weeks in the rest of the world please email us at CustomerCare@Luigisgames.com with the details of your order and we will most definetly help you out!




What Payment Methods do We Accept? *USD$ Currency


At this time Luigisgames Is accepting payments made via Debit/Credit Card in USD$.




What condition will my Electronic Device be in?


All electronic Systems are thoroughly cleaned and tested. Some items May have a few minor cosmetic Flaws. (A scratch or a dent) Nothing we sell at Luigisgames is in poor, bad, or non-working condition. Our promise to You is You will receive Your electronic device in good working condition. 99% of our customers are happy, and the the other rare 1% of our customers get their money back! No questions asked! So purchasing with us is completely 100% Risk Free!




How long do I have to return my item if I dont like it?


All products are backed up by our 90 day no questions asked 100% Money back Guarantee. You have 90 days to return the item and get your money back. No questions asked!




What is a refurbished Device?


A refurbished device is a pre-owned device that has been sent back to the manufactuer due to a factory default and has been tested and been qualified for re-sale for almost half the cost. Not all phones described as refurbished were faulty at all, though. Some networks and retailers classify 'refurbished phones' as devices that were returned by customers who changed their mind within the 30-day cooling-off period after they signed up for a contract. Before being put back on the shelf, all refurbished phones have to be thoroughly checked, tested and approved to ensure they’re in full working order. Tests carried out by our refurbishing team includes battery power check, checking all buttons (touch screen, side buttons, testing the cameras, ect. Our Refurbishing Team also verify audio quality and screen responsiveness, as well as the connection signal to Wi-Fi and any 3G/4G signal connections. Some of our refurbished phones are updated to the latest version of the operating system that powers it. (T-mobile, Sprint, ect.) In keeping up with The Data Protection Act, We securely wipe out any and all data on all devices previously used. Many people believe that refurbished phones are the safer alternitive since they were basically Tested just for you.




Is Buying a Refurbished phone a good alternative vursus a brand new phone?


Let’s face it, a newly updated Phone has been the must-have piece of tech for the last decade. But unfortunately they come with a large price tag. So, if you’re looking into getting a smart Phone and don’t want to spend a fortune, buying a refurbished Phone may just be a great alternative after all!




Will a refurbished iPhone be covered by Apple if it has any software issues?


Yes. If you have any problems with the software, you can take it into any Apple Store and an Apple Genius will take a look at it for you.




Is buying a refurbished Phone almost as good as brand new?


Yes! Our products come in the official Phone-branded packaging with the brand of charger included in the box. Your device may or may not arrive with a blemish (a minor scratch or small dent) due to the previous purchaser. Our refurbished phones work just as smoothly and speedily as any brand-new device. According to our repair team, it really would be difficult to spot the difference between a refurbished device and a brand new phone.




After I place An order, Can I cancel my order?


You can cancel your order anytime before your order is processed for shipment. If your order is cancelled prior to it being processed, you will receive a full refund. Unfortunatly after your order has been processed, It is too late to cancel your order, After you receive the delivery, and if you did not change your mind and/or are not satisfied with your item/s, Please contact us as soon as possiable and we will most definetly help you return your item and help you get your money back! All item(s) returned must be in the condition and packaging it arrived in. Please Note: You may be responsible for any shipping/re-stocking fees for your returned merchandise depending on the condition of your return.